Friday, February 12, 2010

"Sandy Creek Covered Bridge" Oil Painting

Pin It
Sandy Creek covered bridge in the snow! This is my 3rd oil painting (I have now taken 3 classes!).
I had actually visited this place with my garden club last summer on the hottest day of the year and took photos to hopefully one day paint it... in watercolor. It is 1 of 6 bridges built in 1872 to allow passage from Hillsboro to St Louis. Of the 6, only 4 are still standing today.

When I saw that this was the subject for the oil painting group was going to paint this, I said, "I have to paint it!" I will eventually, hopefully soon, paint it in watercolor with a summer background. It will be interesting to have the 2 versions and a great remembrance of a historical place in Missouri!

If you click on the title name above, it will link you over to the park's website for the bridges.

2 comments:

Nomad said...

Hello. Just checking out your site. I am also from St. Louis (well, County) but I am living in Izmir, Turkey now. I also used to paint with oils. That is oil, isn't it? You have good draughtsmanship, much better than me. The reflection of the barn in the icy water can sometimes be difficult to make convincing but it looks like you got it right. In time you will loosen up more and it will not feel so scary or frustrating.
Have you ever heard of a technique called "glazing"? It used to be quite common in the Middle Ages and takes a completely different type of skill but the effects are spectacular. I can explain it to you sometime if you are interested.
Anyway, thanks so much sharing your work. When you get a chance, drop by my blog and check out some of my artwork there. However I don't like this tit for tat thing with alot of blogs so just think of yourself as always invited. :)

Catherine said...

Dear Rose,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. It is so nice to meet you. You are a talented artist. I will visit again and hope you will do the same.