Thursday, May 9, 2013

Step by Step Demo for The Blues Guy by Rosie

Pin It
 
 THE BLUES GUY, Oil on canvas, Click here for purchase info




 The 1st photo I took was after doing a first pass at his skin tones, facial features and hat.

 
I then added the sax

 Then onto his clothing, always
paying attention to where the light is coming from.

More clothing added keeping the light and shadows in check

 Then I had to go back in and correct the skin tones once the clothing was set.
I felt the back ground needed to show the light and shadow areas as well instead of what was in the original photo, as is shown below. This is a photo I took about 2 years ago and have been thinking about painting since then! Once I started it, it just flowed!


3 comments:

Meredith Adler said...

Your painting caught my eye on Leslie's blog, and I came over to let you know. Thanks for showing your process. Wonderful piece! And congrats on being the Artist for May, also...

Julie Uhler said...

Beautiful painting! Thanks for sharing the process.

Rosie Phillips said...

Thanks Julie and Meredith!