Friday, October 11, 2013

Plein Aire paintings of Charleston

Pin It
I did 3 days of plein aire painting and came home with some great starts!
It's been years since I've painted on site, all prima and it was fun
but found that I still need the studio time to 
"get it right"!
None of the three paintings below really look like 
how they began. After lots of 
fine tuning, color adjusting,adding in and taking out.... 
they are finished.
All three are from different spots around Charleston.

 Charleston Harbor
oil, 9 x 12
I started to paint the sky, water and marsh with the pier to the right
and after the boats started coming out... well I had to start adding them in!
The wooden pier was changed from a cement type pier with work boats on it to a small
indiscript wood pier to add some character


 Captain Sam's Creek
oil, 9 x 12
There was a pier and dock in my view of this scene 
but I felt it took away from the marsh and winding creek, so it's gone!
The fun part of "artistic license"!


View from Shem Creek
oil, 8 x 10
I was out on the pier at Shem Creek, past all the shrimp boats where 
you can look across at Charleston Harbor. A few boats were in and out and then out she came! 
A big one! Three masts! All sails out! She definitely had to be part of the scene!

For more information on these
just visit my website at www.rosiephillips.com

No comments: