Saturday, March 21, 2015

Boats on the sea wall.... new painting progress

Pin It
On a recent trip to Florida in February, we enjoyed many days out on the water. It's no wonder that so many people migrate to south Florida, with that beautiful blue water and warm winter weather! 
On one of the days, we took the boat out on Biscayne Bay and had lunch at one of the restaurants close to Dinner Key Marina. These little dinghies were lined up on the sea wall as their sailing owners enjoyed their lunch as well. And as many of you know, I love to paint boats! So this is the photo reference for my next painting. It is a large one, 24 x 36 and it may take me a couple of days to complete so I decided to post my progress. 


My sketch is generally loosely done but I needed to make sure that the sea wall was straight and 
that the boat's angles were correct. Lots of perspectives to think about!
Once I figured out the right size canvas, it took me 2 days to make
sure the boats were correct as they "hang out" on the sea wall. 

This easel is my treasure find at an estate sale in Beaufort. I love the fact that it has a crank to raise and lower the easel height.  I have a feeling that I am going to need that feature on this one!
The easel thing to the right is perfect for my iPad. I use it for the color image while I paint.  And notice the dog bed at the bottom. Bella's day bed fits perfectly between the legs.

I normally print out a black and white image of my photo reference. 
It helps to guide me with the value changes of the painting. 
Here, I've taped it to the wall where my other recent paintings dry. I normally tape it to
the easel above the canvas but this one was too long.

I don't have a name for this painting yet.
Thinking about....

Boats On The Sea Wall
Dinghies On The Sea Wall
Sea Wall Line Up
Dinghy Parking
Hanging Out
All Tied Up

Any suggestions? Would love to hear them...

If you would like to get my blog updates automatically to your email, it's easy! 
Just sign up on the "Follow my blog by email" link on the right side of the page here. 
I don't post very often unless I have a special project like this going on. 
I hope to post more progress on this painting tomorrow!


No comments: