Sunday, March 22, 2015

Painting of boats on the sea wall progress update....

Pin It
My first step was to decide, is this a brush or palette knife painting?
I decided on palette knife. I normally like to do palette knife on gessoed hard board instead of 
canvas but I feel that boats just like to be painted with a knife! Gives them such movement and texture
My darkest darks go in first. Sometimes the darks get painted over but that helps
to get my values right! 

Then I started with the top of the sea wall which is in bright sunlight.
In the photo reference, there is a walk way and trees there but I took the 
artist license and cropped the image to the top of the sea wall. 

Then moving onto the sea wall which is set back from the top ledge and is in a bit in shadow,
the top ledge and posts are in the sunlight. I added the ropes (the mooring lines) as well.
This is an alla prima painting which means wet into wet and painted all at once.
Though I will have to find a good stopping point where I can pick it back up again tomorrow. 


Close up views of the sea wall and ropes.  


Good stopping point for me. 
The boats are tomorrow!

Still searching for a good name. 

Boats On The Sea Wall
Dinghies On The Sea Wall
Sea Wall Line Up
Dinghy Parking
Hanging Out
All Tied Up

Any suggestions? Would love to hear them...

If you would like to get my blog updates automatically to your email, it's easy! 
Just sign up on the "Follow my blog by email" link on the right side of the page here. 
I don't post very often unless I have a special project like this going on. 
I hope to post more progress on this painting tomorrow!

No comments: